Ballet is the classical foundation that is the most important component for any study of dance in order to gain proficiency in dance. It requires strong technique, athleticism, and grace. Ballet classes will maintain smaller class sizes to promote individual attention for each student so that they can all achieve individual growth at their own pace and potential. All Ballet students will receive quality training with additional attention given to musicality, movement quality and anatomically corrects work. Ballet instruction will focus on technique and proper alignment in a structured classroom while educating the dancer in a nurturing and inspiring environment to not only help them grow as a dancer but also an individual.
ASA offers 4 divisions of Ballet training for dancers of all ages and abilities.
- Youth Children’s Program (Ages 2-6) Classes include Tip Toe Discovery & Pre-Ballet/Tap.
- Youth Training Program (Ages 7-9) – Program includes basic Ballet positions, terminology, body positions and directions, and placement while growing in musicality and retention of skills in Ballet. Classes include Basic Ballet & Ballet I.
- Recreational Ballet (Ages 9^) – Program is designed for students who love to dance but do not wish to commit to the requirements laid out in the Pre-Professional Program. This program will help students continue to build strength, vocabulary, musicality, and passion for Ballet. Classes include Ballet I – III, Pre-Pointe, Beginner & Intermediate Pointe, & Conditioning for Dancers.
- Teen Ballet (Ages 13^) – This program is designed for teens who have little to no dance experience but want to explore the joys of Ballet amongst others their age. This program caters to those teens who may want to learn the necessary skills to join dance team during their high school careers and will help to build their knowledge and skill-set including strength, flexibility, physical fitness and body awareness. Classes include Beginner/Intermediate Teen Ballet.
- Pre-Professional Ballet Program (Ages 9^)- A training curriculum designed for the pre-professional student looking to take their Ballet training to the next level. This program will prepare students for a professional Ballet, dance career or a more comprehensive Ballet course with multiple opportunities to develop their technique and artistrywith an extensive Ballet class schedule that requires a great amount of dedication. Classes include Ballet I – III, Pre-Pointe – Intermediate Pointe, Conditioning for Dancers, Variations, and more. Please see Pre-Professional Ballet page for more details.
Ballet Class Options & Requirements:
Pre-Ballet/Tap I & II (Ages 4-6) An introduction to ballet and tap for our younger students. Dancers learn basic ballet and tap terminology and classroom etiquette. Memory, body awareness, and rhythm are the focus of this class, by way of games and basic ballet and tap combinations. The class is broken into 20 minutes of ballet and 20 minutes of tap with a short break to change shoes.
Basic Ballet (1 class/week)
Ballet I (1 class/week)
Ballet II (2 classes/week required)
Ballet III (2 classes/week required)
Pre-Pointe (By teacher acceptance only)
Beginner Pointe (By teacher acceptance only)
Intermediate Pointe (By teacher acceptance only)
Beginning/Intermediate Teen Ballet (1 class/week)
Conditioning for Dancers (ages 9^)
Students should expect to stay in the same level for a minimum of 2 years.
Proper Ballet attire is required: Leotard (color specified by level), pink tights, ballet shoes, hair in a bun, and ballet belt. All leotards are available for sale or order in the office or online via Discount Dance. Click on the leotard style below to purchase online.
Basic: Hot Pink Cap Sleeve Leotard
Teen Ballet: Eggplant Tank Leotard (Adult)